pS-Performance Toolkit use cases
The pS Performance Toolkit can be installed in one of two methods on a target system:
- A LiveCD that uses an operating system on a read-only medium and stores data to the hard disk.
- A NetInstall option that will install the OS to the target machine's hard disk
The following sections describe the use cases and differences between the two varieties.
- Prefer a network measurement appliance, where key binaries from the operating system can not be modified/hacked.
- Are upgrading from an existing LiveCD (version 3.1.x or version 3.2.x) and do not want to delete existing data or configuration.
- Wish to preserve the measurement host as a pristine environment, absent of other functionality that might perturb measurement results.
- Wish to do upgrades without needing physical access to the machine.
- Require the ability to manage security patches and upgrades in the same manner as other hosts on the site network.
- Want to keep measurement software up to date via package management systems (e.g. using
- Wish to use the measurement host for other functionality.